Whole foods that help detox the body
Posted on January 6, 2016
Our nutritionist Amy McKendrick offers her top 10 picks:
- Lemons – add this versatile citrus to water first thing in the morning. Helps to aid digestion and flush out toxins.
- Kale – full of nutrients and helps to flush out the kidneys.
- Ginger – helps with liver function and has astringent properties. Just add to food or infuse as a tea.
- Broccoli – amazing superfood that contains loads of nutrients. It works with the enzymes in your liver to turn toxins into byproducts that body can easily eliminate.
- Avocados – high in fibre and antioxidants. Excellent for keeping digestion flowing and for cleansing the colon.
- Green tea – has a very high antioxidant content. Helps to seek out and eliminate free radicals before they do damage. Choose an organic brand.
- Tumeric – contains a powerful photochemical called curcumin. It stimulates production of bile by the gallbladder. The liver uses bile to eliminate toxins. Bile also rejuvenates liver cells.
- Beetroot – helps the body in the removal of toxins and contains free-radical fighting properties. Have it raw in a juice or grated in a salad.
- Garlic – boosts the immune system and helps detoxification due to its high levels of vitamin C. Helps to fight free radicals in the bloodstream.
- WATER – so important for all your organs and for flushing toxins out of the body. If you aren’t used to drinking lots of water, gradually increase it each day so you don’t overload the kidneys. Aim to drink approximately 30ml of water per kilogram of body weight.
Try to limit foods which increase toxins, dehydrate and put a strain on the liver and kidneys such as processed and refined foods (especially sugars and fats), alcohol and caffeine.