The dreaded C word…that’s right I’m talking about you cellulite. If you’ve landed here, I’m about to spill all on the cellulite conundrum.
The dreaded C word…that’s right I’m talking about you cellulite. If you’ve landed here, I’m about to spill all on the cellulite conundrum. Come and join the party and let me help you make it a little more manageable. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do I have cellulite?
- Do I want to to know what its likely causes are?
- Do I want to know how to prevent/diminish its appearance?
- Most importantly, do I want to be more confident with certain areas of my body?
Answer yes to just one of those, then I welcome you to the facts, at home tips and a powerful secret weapon to minimise the bothersome bumps, for good! Let’s start with the basics, a little understanding of what cellulite actually is and why our skin resembles orange peel when we aspire for plump peach perfection.
Cellulite gradually gets worse as we age and is a problem for over 85% of women over 20 years of age. It’s cause is attributed to the structure of our connective tissue. Strands of connective tissue called septae hold our fat lying underneath in place. However if the septae is loose and weak the fat is able to bulge out between the connective tissue lattice creating the ripples on the surface of the skin. Woman have a predisposition for cellulite accumulation due to having fewer and less tightly arranged septae and often store excess fat in target cellulite areas, troublesome thighs I’m looking at you.
Hormones also play a key role in the appearance of cellulite. As women age, their bodies produce less estrogen – a hormone that keeps their blood vessels flowing smoothly. Less estrogen can mean poorer circulation, which can also mean a decrease in new collagen production and the breakdown of older connective tissue.
Given the evidence it would it be right to assume that in order to completely eradicate cellulite one would have to lose fat, alter the interior structure of connective tissue and rewind the clock *rolls eyes*. However, as a starting point there are some things you can do to diminish its appearance at home by reducing overall body toxicity:
- Dietary intervention – it is important to consume a diet rich in wholesome, natural foods and limit anything processed. Good additions include green tea, oily fish, vegetables, berries, cayenne pepper, turmeric, garlicand apple cider vinegar.
- Staying hydrated – sipping on pure water everyday or adding some fresh lemon to improve taste ensures that toxins are adequately flushed out of the body on a daily basis. Ensure any caffeine consumption is equated for or switch to herbal tea.
- Swap salt – opting for natural sea salt or even better Himalayan pink salt over table salt increases minerals and reduces toxicity.
- Dry body brushing and massage – doing this helps to stimulate the lymphatic system and encourages elimination of toxins.
- Get moving – increasing your heart rate is not only a good way to increase endorphins and reduce stress but sweating is a great way to expel toxins through the skin. Exercising also helps to lengthen, tone and tighten the body creating a more flattering appearance.
- Limit skin thinning creams – thinning the skin only makes any cellulite present more noticeable. For example, topical steroid creams commonly used to treat skin conditions such as eczema. Instead opt for a natural oil or nourishing moisturiser to treat skin to the hydration it needs.
While these techniques may help, there is a far more sophisticated way tackling the root cause of cellulite. Science and technology have joined forces to design treatments that when combined together, alleviate the appearance of cellulite…all hail Cavitation and Radio Frequency; the gold standard of cellulite treatment.
First, cavitation uses low frequency ultra sound to break down the stubborn fat, ultra sound waves vibrate the fat cells, these cells can’t withstand this type of pressure, they disintegrate, becoming a liquid. The body moves this liquid through the lymphatic system to the liver, where its recycled and used as energy. The result is immediate fat loss.
This is paired with radio frequency energy that penetrates the skin layers to selectively heat the skin tissue. This works by inducing tissue remodelling by stimulating sub-dermal collagen and elastin production. In doing so improving skin tone, tightening loose skin and smoothing out the distribution of fat between the body’s connective tissue.
What’s even better news is that both of these treatments are pain free and come with very minimal side effects. At Body Catalyst we offer consultations, so book an appointment with us today and find out how we can help you tackle cellulite.