Looking for a quick and easy way to help cleanse your body and aid the digestive system? Start each day with a glass of warm water and lemon.
The benefits of this simple drink are innumerable. Here’s 6 to get you going:
- Detoxifies the liver: Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials in part because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Therefore toxins are released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy. The citric acid in lemons helps maximize enzyme function, which stimulates the liver and aids in detoxification.
- Aids in Digestion: Lemon water purifies and stimulates the liver by encouraging the production of bile, an acid required for digestion. Lemon water can also help control excess bile flow, decrease the amount of phlegm produced by the body and assist in dissolving.
- Repairs the skin: Lemons are great for combating skin ageing. Being rich in vitamin C, they create collagen synthesis, which is wonderful in terms of keeping wrinkles at bay and rejuvenating the skin.
- Boosts the immune system: The juice of half a lemon in a glass of water is rich in vitamin C, which helps boosts the immune system and assists the body in fighting colds and flu.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Lemons are high in pectin fibre, which helps fight hunger cravings. Studies have shown people who maintain a more alkaline diet, do in fact lose weight faster.
- Protects overall health: High levels of potassium in lemons can help brain and nerve functioning and control blood pressure. Lemon water can also ward off stress and depression, which have been linked to low levels of potassium.
There are many other wonderful benefits of starting the day with a glass of warm lemon water so if you are looking to substitute your morning coffee, look no further. Otherwise, slip one in before the coffee.