Help smooth cellulite, tighten skin and reduce wrinkles one sip at a time…
by Vikki Pow, Clinical & Wellness Manager, Sydney CBD
We love this vibrant, nutrient-dense smoothie that’s perfect aiding in cell repair for smoother, tighter skin.
- 2 tablespoons of collagen powder
- 1 handful of spinach, or cube of frozen spinach
- ½ cup cooked beetroot
- ½ cup strawberries
- 1 cup liquid (coconut water, coconut milk, almond milk)
- Start by cooking the beetroot, you can either boil or roast until soft. Allow to cool. Alternatively, you can use pre-cooked vacuum packed beetroot, however I wouldn’t use canned as it will contain more sugar and will have lost nutrients from the canning process
- Then simply blend all ingredients!
- You can add ice to your smoothie, however I prefer to keep smoothies at room temperature or only slightly cold, as drinking cold smoothies unfavorably lowers my core body temperature and importantly constricts blood vessels in the area, reducing digestive capacity!
Humble spinach is great for skin health due to its content of Vitamins C, E, and A which are all important for your skin integrity. It is also full of antioxidants, which scavenge for free radicals (the pesky molecules pinballing around damaging other cells). Moreover, the phytonutrient chlorophyll (which is what makes spinach so green) helps to remove toxins, cleanse the blood and promote healing. Spinach is also a great source of non-heme iron, which builds red blood cells, helping to promote blood flow.
The addition of collagen peptides is the secret weapon in the recipe. This provides the amino acids needed to build-up your body’s connective tissue, without this there may not be enough of the substrates your body needs to make your skin firm and taut. These are either bovine (cow) or marine (fish) sourced.
Aside from making any dish more aesthetically pleasing, beetroot is full of betalain, a star phytonutrient capable of cleansing blood, acting as both an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. They help to stimulate cell production & repair what keeps your skin firm. Beetroot is also rich in Vitamin C, which is a potent antioxidant and required for the cross-linking of collagen.
Berries contain alpha-hydroxy acid – you’ll find this in a lot of premium skin products.
It is an important substance that helps eliminate dead skin cells and cleanses the skin in the process. This super molecule is seen to promote collagen production, increase blood flow, and improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles.